The Barrel Car is an item that is intended to be used with the Barrel Loader, with variations are still in production. It was introduced individually in 1997, and has since been retired. Cargo Cars are now used to carry barrels.
- Milk Barrel Car (from the Sodor Dairy Cars)
- Honey Barrel Car (from the James Goes Buzz Buzz DVD)
- Sugar Barrel Car (from the Sodor Cookie Cars-5 Pack)
- Sodor Steamworks Barrel Car (from the Bish Bash Bosh 3-Pack)
- Jellybean Barrel Car (from the Thomas and the Jellybean Car)
- Vicarstown Dieselworks Barrel Car (from the Diesel Fuel Depot)
- Fish Food Cars (from the Aquarium Set)
- A Barrel Car can hold two barrels.
- In its individual release, one barrel held oil and one barrel held petrol.
- The Barrel Car was one of the first items with a fully plastic body.
- The blue Barrel Car was first sold in the Barrel Loader.
- The Barrel Car's 2003 character card labels it as "Barrel Truck".
- The Aquarium set has an Exclusive light green barrel car.